Monday 15 November 2010

Analysis of music videos 3 - 50 Cent - Just a lil' bit

Overview
This song was released and performed by 50 Cent, a successful rapper from America. The song was released on the artists second album titled 'The Massacre' in March 2005. 'Just a lil' bit' was the third single released from this album in may 2005, reaching number 3 in the billboard hot one hundred and number 10 in the UK singles chart.




Genre
Similarly to all of 50 cent's other singles, this song is from the 'Hip Hop' and 'Gangsta rap' genre. This genre is typically recognized in vocals by the way the artist says the lyrics, rapping for the majority of songs rather than singing like other genre's of music. The term 'Gangsta rap describes rap that lyrically describes violence and troubles that many artists may have been through at some point in life. Often a controversial genre due to the violent and provoking lyrics, 'Gangsta rap' has quickly become one of the most commercially popular sub-genre's of the genre. Sexual references are also conventionally used in this genre of music, with women often shown in as sexual objects, and shown in an attractive/sexual light in videos. We can see this displayed in this song and video, as sexual acts are frequently referenced in the lyrics, and women are shown in a sexually attractive way (fitting with Laura Mulvey's male gaze theory). Rappers are often shown in videos in a similar way fitting in with the conventions of the genre. For example they often wear hats/caps, baggy clothing and have some sort of bold jewelery. This convention has been followed in the video as 50 cent wears this sort of clothing, with a big bold shiny necklace around his neck.


Codes and Conventions
The video is both a narrative and performance clip, as the artist 50 cent is frequently rapping the lyrics in sync with the song but there is also a storyline going on when he is not performing. The performance is quite conventional for a Hip Hop video, as the rapper 50 cent is singing directly to the camera at frequent points throughout the video. As well as this the storyline involves the use of sex and violence, of which are traits often associated with this genre of music. I would say that the location is also a conventional one regarding Hip Hop music, as it is set in a glamorous sunny resort, indicating that 50 cent has lots of money, being something many Rappers wish to showcase.


Audience
Until mainstream success rap music was usually mostly listened too by people similar to the artists themselves, being males from around 15 - 30. This was down to the fact that many of these listeners could relate to the lyrics in songs having gone through similar experiences and living similar lifestyles. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s however, the popularity of Hip Hop music increased dramatically meaning a more diverse audience. Now this genre of music is more mainstream and has entered national charts, so has been accessible and listened to by many more people. This song reached number 3 in the US and number 10 in the UK, meaning that pop music fans may find themselves listening to songs like this staying in touch with whats classed as chart music. 50 cent's lyrics however, have not changed to suit a young male and female pop audience, as they are still quite graphic with explicit lyrics to do with sex and violence.

Lyrics and Music

Yeah... Shady....Aftermath.. G-Unit

Damn baby all I need is a lil' bit...
A lil bit o' dis a lil bit o' dat...
Get crackin' in the club when you hear the shit..
Drop it like it's hot get to wokin that back....
Girl shake that thing yeah work that thing,
Let me see it go up and down...
Rotate that thing, I wanna touch that thing when you make it go round and round...

I step up in the club I'm like who you with
G-Unit in the house yeah that's my clique
Yeah I'm young but a nigga from the old school,
On a dance floor nigga doing old moves...
I don't give a f**k I do what I wanna do,
I hit your ass up boy I done warned you,

Better listen when I talk nigga don't trip,
Your heat in the club, mine's in this bitch,
I ain't tryin' to beef I'm tryin' to get my drink on.
I got my diamonds, my fitted, and my mink on..
I'm gonna kick it at the bar til it's time to go,
Then I'm gonna get shorty here and I'm gonna let her know...

[chorus]

All a nigga really need is a lil bit,
not a lot baby girl just a lil bit..
we can head to the crib in a lil bit..
I can show you how I live in a lil bit,
I wanna unbutton your pants just a lil bit,
take 'em off pull em down just a lil bit,
get to kissin' and touchin' a lil bit...
get to lickin' and f*****g a lil bit...

[verse 2]

This is 50 comin' out your stereo..
Hard to tell tho 'cause I switch the flow,
Eyes a little low 'cause I twist tha dro
Pockets on swoll 'cause I move the o's..
My neck, my wrist, my ears is froze

Come get your bitch she on me dawg,
She must a heard about the dough,
Now captain c'mon and save a hoe.

I get crunk in the club I'm off the chain
#1 on the chart all the time mayne
When the kid in the house I turn it out
Keep the dance floor packed that's without a doubt
Shorty shake that thing like a pro mayne
She back dat up on me I'm like oh man
I get close enough to her so I know she could hear it
System thumpin' party's jumpin I say it loud and clear.

[chorus]

All a nigga really need is a lil bit,
not a lot baby girl just a lil bit..
we can head to the crib in a lil bit..
I can show you how I live in a lil bit,
I wanna unbutton your pants just a lil bit,
take 'em off pull em down just a lil bit,
get to kissin' and touchin' a lil bit...
get to lickin' and f*****g a lil bit...

[bridge]
You really got me feelin' right.. (ya heard me)
My mama gone you can spend the night (ya heard me)
I ain't playin' I'm tryin' to f**k tonight (ya heard me)
Clothes off, face down, ass up, c'mon (haha).

[chorus 2x]

All a nigga really need is a lil bit,
not a lot baby girl just a lil bit..
we can head to the crib in a lil bit..
I can show you how I live in a lil bit,
I wanna unbutton your pants just a lil bit,
take 'em off pull em down just a lil bit,
get to kissin' and touchin' a lil bit...
get to lickin' and f*****g a lil bit...

Immediately, you can see that the lyrics are quiet explicit, which fits well with the song and genre, as attractive women appear on screen in the intro of the song. When the tune of the song kicks in, you can see some typical conventions of a Hip/hop video. The edit is quick, fitting well with the tempo of the song and on screen you can see a glamorous looking location with the artist, 5o cent in smart expensive looking clothes and in an expensive looking home. The fact that he is walking with 3 attractive and scantily clad women also fits in with the general Hip/hop ideology that women are sexual objects. The lyrics generally portray 50 cent as a powerful man, as he sings about expensive things like diamonds. This fits well with the visuals as he is wearing what looks like a flashy chain around his neck, showing his wealth. The power that comes from his wealth is shown throughout the clip as he seems to be using women as his tools to capture gangsters, making him seem like the more powerful character. The way in which the women capture the men in the clip also fits well with the video as the lyrics are very sexual and suggest that the downfall of the captured men is the fact that they succumb to wanting 'a lil bit' from the beautiful women shown on screen.

Representation
This video represents two main groups of people, both men and women associated with Hip/hop music. The men, such as the rapper 50 cent and the other gangster characters in the clip , are depicted as powerful and dangerous, with the main character 50 cent being shown as wealthy. This can be noticed from the expensive looking clothes and location to which the video is shot. towards the end of the video police find 50 dollar bills and diamonds near the scenes of the crime, helping to back up the representation of wealth in male rappers like 50 cent. Women are depicted differently however, as they seem to be hovering around the rapper frequently throughout the clip. This seems to put them in a lower position concerning power, as 50 is the main focus of the scene with several women surrounding him. They are also shown as objects of sexual desire throughout, as they are wearing minimal clothing to show off their bodies in a suggestive manner. This then follows through in the narrative as the women seem to use their looks to lure men into 50 cent's trap, showing that they are used as tools or objects to the hands of powerful men like the main character in the clip, 50 cent.

Institution - Record Label
After a number of successful underground and early singles 5o cent was first signed to interscope records in 2002, a label of which had many other successful artists signed such as 2pac, Eminem and the Black eyed peas. The album 'Get rich or die tryin' ' was released under interscope, reaching number 1 in the US billboard chart and featuring numerous number one singles. As 50 hit rapid success, he set up his own label in 2003 titled G-Unit of which specialized in the Hip/hop genre, with the permission of interscope who would distribute G-unit records. With this record 50 cent signed a number of artists in the rap genre of whom were specifically classed as members of G-unit. Intercope itself would be mostly associated with the Hip/Hop genre, gaining great commercial success originally with successful Hip/hop acts such as Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg. More recently, the label has begun to broaden its horizons, signing artists from other genres of music so as to maximize sales for the business. They have since been involved with artists such as Nine Inch Nails, Limp Bizkit and Blink-182.

Camera Shot, Edit and Lighting
Throughout the Video there are numerous examples of different camera shots, types of edit and lighting. First of all it can be noticed that the edit is quite slow with a slow zoom and slow pan. This fits well with the slow tempo of the song of which is usually seen in many hip hop songs. The lighting throughout the clip is bright and natural, to capture the luxurious tropical lifestyle of which the rapper and main character are located. At points where the tempo of the song pick up, the edit follows suit, cutting from shot to shot quickly to match the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment