Friday 18 March 2011

Poster examples

For inspiration and an insight into conventions and ideas for album posters, i researched a few indie bands posters to see the different techniques used to promote their new albums. Here are three examples i looked at that showed both positive and negative techniques. This poster is for an indie band, The Vaccines' new album. Personally I really liked this album poster as I felt the simplicity of it made it very effective. If there was too much information or too many things going on on this photo, it may not be as effective in promoting their new album, as only the important information is included. I also liked the faded background, as it gives a subtle message as towards the theme of the album. I will take inspiration from both of these points as i feel that they will very effective as a poster for my chosen band and track. I also thought this poster, for the new Glasvegas album, was quite effective in promoting this album. Similar to The Vaccines' poster, I liked the faded image used in this poster. Although it was used in a different way, I thought it looked quite unusual and eye-catching, making it stick out in an audiences mind. I also liked the dark colours used, creating a mysterious shadow like effect across the poster. I feel that using dark colours on my poster will make it look quite mysterious and interesting, so would be effective in engaging an audience into buying the single.
Of all the album posters i looked at, I thought that this one by British Sea Power was the least effective. I didn't like the way in which several colours were used, and i felt they clashed making the poster less aesthetically pleasing. I will take this on board when creating my poster and try not to use too many colours with the risk of it clashing. Despite this, i liked how all of the writing on the poster was the same font, as it made it look quite professional. When creating my poster i will do the same, and use the same font in all writing to make it look professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment